November 1, 2009
Meditation and Color Therapy
Colors influence our minds and our lives on every level. In color therapy, various shades of color are specifically applied to regenerate the organs and glands, as well as to activate the processes of elimination, respiration, and circulation. Colors also influence our mood and every type of mental activity.
- RED stimulates the circulation, makes us alert, warms and relaxes, but can also bring out agression;
- ORANGE improves the mood, promotes lightness, stimulates sexuality, but can also stimulate superficiality;
- YELLOW stimulates digestion, makes us mentally alert, and lets life appear in a bright light, but is can also be obtrusive;
- GREEN is generally calming; it regenerates on every level, and gives us the desire to start something new;
- BLUE is also calming, but this calmness goes deeper and provides a sense of security; it conveys protection, and symbolizes the silent yearning for the incomprehensible;
- VOILET is the color of transformation, change and spirituality;
- BROWN is the color of stability and connection to the earth, but too much can lead to stagnation;
- WHITE bears the entire spectrum of the other colors within itself, containing birth as well as death;
- BLACK is the color of protection, of gathering strength, of retreat, and of the emptiness that already bears abundance within itself. Too much black weakens the organism, puts us in a sad mood, and promotes pessimism.
While meditating, you can visualize a color or concentrate on the color of an object. You can imagine the color as dark or light, dull or bright, connected to forms, free-flowing, etc. Most of these colors can also be related to Chakras, or energy centers within the body, which can create additional meaning and sensation.
Allow the colors to take you someplace healing during your meditation. For example,you feel the need to go into the forest because you can best regenerate yourself there but don’t have time to do so. You can imagine a very green forest, and in your thoughts, you can totally luxuriate in the green of the leaves. This will refresh you inwardly. Give it a try!