August 30, 2010
Tips for healthy eating habits
I’ve had the incredible pleasure of studying with Asheville’s gifted Anusara teacher, Joe Taft and Ayurveda & nutritional expert Joseph Immel over the weekend and finding myself practicing more mindfulness when it comes to how I feed my body. Having good eating habits help us to feel vital, light, energetic and aids in the function of proper digestion. Want to share these simple tips from Joseph Immel:
1. Drink your solids and chew your liquids. (Your body uses 60% of it’s daily energy for digestion, help to honor your belly by making everything liquid before it goes down.)
2. Give yourself 15 minutes to rest after eating.
3. Do not drink cold liquid with meals. (warm instead)
4. No activity after eating (includes talking, driving, thinking)
5. Eat at the same time every day.
6. Wait for signs of true hunger. (no comfort eating)
7. Breakfast = Spiritual meal, Lunch = Playful meal, Dinner = Gentle meal
8. Eat simple food combos. (3 major ingredients)
9. Baby digestion with soup for dinner. (light & nourishing)
10. Fill stomach 1/3 food, 1/3 water, 1/3 empty.
11. Pray before you eat. (we need Divine assistance to digest)