July 7, 2011
Yellow squash with fresh basil and toasted pecans
If you are like me, and are growing yellow squash in your garden this year and have them coming out your ears, here is a recipe that I love this season:
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 lbs. baby pattypan or small crookneck squash, halved or cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
- Toast pecans in dry skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant, shaking pan often. Set aside to cool.
- Fill large pot with 1 inch water. Set steamer basket in pot, cover, and bring water to a boil. Place squash in basket. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and steam 4 to 6 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Transfer squash to large bowl. Toss with olive oil, basil and pecans. Serve hot, or at room temperature.