January 8, 2013
Hearty Cabbage Soup Recipe
Mmm, love these recipes that I can take advantage of my winter garden crop AND cabbage is one of our cancer-fighting super foods. This is so hearty, it’s more like a casserole. I think the hubby will even love it (and he doesn’t love cabbage). I’ve just made croutons with my leftover bread, so in lieu of the hard bread, I’ll just use the croutons.
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4lb. Cabbage, shredded
- 1 qt. vegetable stock
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4-8 slices of day-old firm textured bread, toasted
- 8 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Saute’ the garlic in oil in large saucepan over low heat until pale gold, 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage and saute’ until wilted. Pour in veggie stock and simmer for 40 minutes. Season with salt & pepper. Preheat oven to 350`. Place a layer of toasted bread in dutch oven or casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan, and pour in 1 1/2 cups of the soup. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used. Bake for 10 minutes and serve hot.