March 10, 2014
Self-Care Regime for Your Body, Mind and Spirit
Spring is right around the corner, and it finally feels like it’s here in Charlotte. With the weather changing, we are all outside more and Nature can be so healing for our body, mind and spirit! It reminds me of all the practices that are a part of self-care. Self-care practices really have to become routine in your schedule, or they will be missed. So, I’m urging you during this season of change to examine how you are taking care of yourself and if needed, make some changes too. Maybe we also re-examine our perception about what is a luxury and what is appropriate as a healthy self-care regime, as without our health, we have nothing. When your body is being taken care of regularly, you keep your immune system in optimal condition. Here are some suggestions and practices that are part of my schedule that you may like to add to your own:
- Daily meditation. Yes, every day. You DO have time, even if it means 5-minute increments.
- Eating only foods that provide good prana (life-force). No sugar, nothing processed, of course.
- Of course Yoga asana. Yes, every day. Take a couple of lead classes weekly, then practice on your own too, you’ll be glad you did.
- Daily self-massage with seasonal oil (after your shower or bath). www.banyanbotanicals.com has an excellent selection of organic body oils.
- Monthly professional massage. That’s only 12 times a year, and it is very detoxifying, re-balancing and practical.
- 30-minutes of good aerobic exercise at least 3 times a week. Get out and walk briskly, maybe throw a run in there.
- Regular energy healing/cleansing practices (Reiki, Kinesiology, Thai Yoga Therapy, Reflexology, etc.) These can be scheduled once every 4-8 weeks depending upon your situation. Do yourself a favor and add some of these, you deserve it and will feel SOO good. Here are my favorite providers: Reiki and Kinesiology: www.awakentobliss.co; Thai Yoga Therapy: www.bodhiseedwellness.com; Reflexology: www.divineshantiyoga.com Yes, I give myself treatments, why not? 😉
- Designate time for self-nurturing hobbies, whatever it may be, don’t let life get away from you! Life is precious and short, so take care of it wisely! (reading, gardening, dancing, singing, whatever takes you deep within)
- Leisure time with friends and family on a regular basis. Only you can know how much time with loved ones you need, it is not too much to do something fun EVERY day!